John 13:20 (ESV)
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me."
As I read this, I thought to myself, "But how can a person identify someone Jesus has sent?"
Here are some thoughts from the Bible:
A true messenger of Jesus will teach and uphold the teachings of Jesus Himself. John 8:31-32 says, "...If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
The person Jesus sends will exhibit the fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 states, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
A person Jesus sends has a ministry that aligns with Jesus' mission. Luke 19:10 says, "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." Also, Matthew 28:19-20 says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."
And a person Jesus sends will walk in the love of Jesus. In John 13:34-35 Jesus says, "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
By identifying these traits, we will be able to identify the one Jesus sends to us.